Monday, October 22, 2012

Cartoon Network: 20 Years Old! Then vs Now



Cartoon Network. One of our childhood programming channel dedicated to airing some of the finest cartoons for our viewing....... at least that was the case in the beginning time of the network. Now to be fair, I'm sure that Cartoon Network still have some quality cartoons for this generation, but there have been a lot of complaints about the currents shows. The one main complaint that I hear a lot is that they suck! This a topic of debate that I would like to address. First off, let me start by saying that on October 1st, Cartoon Network celebrated it's 20th birthday! That's right people, it's been 20 years. Now what I am going to do is compare Cartoon Network that we all know and love to the Cartoon Network of today. I'll be splitting this into two time periods: 1992-Early 2002 and Late 2002-2012.  I'm going to try to list all the cartoons that I remember watching and some that I don't, which means that I had to do a little research. Also, this is not an article detailing each and every cartoon that aired on the channel. In my view, that would be INSANE! Don't worry though, because I will talk about certain cartoons in the future. On that note, let's begin.


Now like I said, Cartoon Network started in October 1st, 1992. At the time, the network was playing reruns of classic cartoons such as: Warner Bros cartoon (Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies), MGM cartoons (Droopy, Tom and Jerry) and Hanna-Barbera cartoons (The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Scooby-Doo). Fast forward a few years later, Hanna-Barbera Studios produced a segment called What A Cartoon! This segment included short cartoons which eventually spun-off into their series. These cartoons included Dexter's Laboratory, Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, The Powerpuff Girls, Courage the Cowardly Dog, and a precursor to Family Guy. Hmmmm...... that sounds interesting! I might have to talk about that in the future. Other cartoons that aired in the first ten years are Sheep in The Big City, Time Squad, Samurai Jack, Grim & Evil and Whatever Happened to... Robot Jones?


Now, here are the cartoons that aired from late 2002 til now: Codename: Kids Next Door, The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Evil Con Carne, Stars Wars: Clone Wars, Megas XLR, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi, The Life and Times of Jupiter Lee, Camp Lazlo, My Gym Partner's a Monkey, Ben 10, Squirrel Boy, Class of 3000, Chowder, Transformers: Animated, Johnny Test, Ben 10: Alien Force, The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, The Secret Saturdays, Stars Wars: The Clone Wars (and yes, it's a different cartoon), Generator Rex, Ben 10: Ultimate Alien, Sym-Bionic Titan, Robotomy, The Problem Solverz, Adventure Time, Regular Show, Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, The Amazing World of Gumball and Ben 10: Omniverse. Wheew..... that was a doozy! Now I know I forgot to mention the programming block Toonami, but I will talk about that more in the future. You may also notice that I didn't mention any of the live-action shows, but seriously, live-action shows on Cartoon Network???


The question is: Were cartoons better on Cartoon Network 10 years ago? My answer: not necessary. You see, you have to understand that the new generation of kids are different. If you were born in the 90's then you're probably use to the classic cartoons. Watching cartoons on Cartoon Network nowadays probably gives you that feeling that you wish you was back in the 90's, but you have to understand that the generation before was probably thinking the same thing that we're thinking now! We have to realize that what we're going through what I like to called the Growing Up syndrome. We're just getting older, so our perception on things will eventually change. When this generation of kids gets older, they probably will view cartoon in a negative tone simply because they're not use to them, Regardless, good cartoons are good cartoons. Even though I don't watch Cartoon Network as much as I use to, I enjoy watching Regular Show and Adventure Time. I hope you remember this article the next time you're watching Cartoon Network.

No comments:

Post a Comment